The history and importance of spreadsheets.
We take spreadsheets for granted, but they were actually an incredible innovation that transformed small business. In this episode we talk about the history of spreadsheets and why they are so important. We cover the first popular spreadsheet program, VisiCalc, which was the "killer app" for the Apple II. Then we talk about Lotus 1-2-3 and why it displaced VisiCalc. We finish with Microsoft Excel and areas where spreadsheets are being stretched too thin.
- Episode 16: The Personal Computer Revolution
- VisiCalc via Wikipedia
- Episode 22: Why was the IBM PC a Big Deal?
- Lotus 1-2-3 via Wikipedia
- Founders at Work by Jessica Livingston via Amazon
- Episode 21: How have UIs Evolved?
- Microsoft Excel via Wikipedia
- Excel: Why using Microsoft's tool caused Covid-19 results to be lost via BBC
Follow us on Twitter @KopecExplains.
Find out more at http://kopec.live